Long, rich history of serving guests
Mount Rushmore Resort at Palmer Gulch started with one man’s vision and has become a destination for thousands of vacationers every year. In 1925, a mining engineer dreamed of developing a country club in the Black Hills. He and other investors purchased land along Palmer Creek, at the base of Harney Peak. They could not have imagined today’s expansive resort.
Changes over the years
- President Coolidge dedicated the start of Mount Rushmore on Aug. 10, 1927.
- In 1929, the Great Depression prompted first sale of the country club.
- Owners turned club into a dude ranch in 1962 – “Palmer Gulch Lodge.”
- In 1973, it became a Holiday Inn franchisee (Holiday Inn Travel Park).
- Our current owners’ long affiliation with KOA began in 1977.